Please wait

Freephone: 0800 023 8350

Telephone: 01438 229 655

Mobile: 07961 147 476

Menu

Freephone: 0800 023 8350
Telephone: 01438 229 655
Mobile: 07961 147 476
enquiries@tjcoppingroofing.com

A 4th generation family run business

Roofing Services Hatfield | Roofer Hatfield | Roof Repair Hatfield | Flat Roof Repair Hatfield

Our scores are based on 494 reviews
(each score is out of 10)

Reliability and timekeeping

9.94

Tidiness

9.87

Courtesy

9.93

Workmanship

9.91

Invoice history is based on 418 reviews

Charged as per quote

96.65 %

Above quote (kept informed)

3.35 %

Checks carried out by Checkatrade

  • Interviewed by Checkatrade
  • Insurance checked
  • Limited company checked
  • Address checked
  • Checkatrade standard signed
  • 1 accreditation checked
  • ID checked
  • References checked

T. J. Copping Ltd Roofing Specialists are a family owned roofing company who have been successfully trading since 1960. Their desire to offer a quality roofing service with competitive rates is as strong today as it's always been.

T. J. Copping Ltd Roofing Specialists have many satisfied customers in and around the Hatfield area.

A little history about Hatfield

Hatfield is of Saxon origin. Hatfield House, the home of the Marquess of Salisbury, is the hub of the old town. From the 1930s when de Havilland opened a factory until the 1990s when British Aerospace closed, Hatfield was associated with aircraft design and manufacture, which employed more people than any other industry. Hatfield was one of the post war New Towns built around London and has much modernist architecture from the period. The University of Hertfordshire is based there. Much like its neighbour, Hatfield has seen a recent increase in commuters who work in London moving to the area.

In the Saxon period Hatfield was known as Hetfelle, but by the year 970, when King Edgar gave 5,000 acres to the monastery of Ely, it had become known as Haethfeld. Hatfield is mentioned in the Domesday Book as the property of the Abbey of Ely. The original census data which compilers of Domesday used still survives, giving us slightly more information than in the final Domesday record. No other records remain until 1226, when Henry III granted the Bishops of Ely rights to an annual four day fair and a weekly market. The town was then called Bishops Hatfield.

Hatfield House is the seat of the Cecil family, the Marquesses of Salisbury. Elizabeth Tudor was confined there for three years in what is now known as The Old Palace in Hatfield Park. Legend has it that it was here in 1558, while sitting under an oak tree in the Park, that she learned that she had become Queen following the death of her half sister, Queen Mary I, the remains of this Oak were placed in a museum within the park in recent years to prevent them from being lost forever, a replacement oak was planted by the current Queen in 1985. Elizabeth held her first Council in the Great Hall of The Old Palace of Hatfield. In 1851, the route of the Great North Road was altered to avoid cutting through the grounds of Hatfield House.

The town grew up around the gates of Hatfield House. Old Hatfield retains many historic buildings, notably the Old Palace, St Etheldredas Church and Hatfield House. The Old Palace was built by the Bishop of Ely in 1497, during the reign of Henry VII, and the only surviving wing is still used today for Elizabethan style banquets. St Etheldredas Church was founded by the monks from Ely, and the first wooden church, built in 1285, was probably sited where the existing building stands overlooking the old town.

Aviation industry in Hatfield

In 1930 the de Havilland airfield and aircraft factory was opened at Hatfield and by 1949 it had become the largest employer in the town, with almost 4,000 staff. It was taken over by Hawker Siddeley in 1960 and merged into British Aerospace in 1978. In the 1930s it produced a range of small biplanes. During the Second World War it produced the Mosquito fighter bomber and developed the Vampire, the second British production jet aircraft after the Gloster Meteor. After the war, facilities were expanded and it developed the Comet airliner as the first production jet liner, the Trident airliner, and an early bizjet, the DH125.

British Aerospace closed the Hatfield site in 1993 having moved the BAe 146 production line to Woodford Aerodrome. The land was used as a film set for Steven Spielbergs movie Saving Private Ryan and most of the television drama Band of Brothers. It was later developed for housing, higher education, commerce and retail. Part of the former British Aerospace site was intended to be the site of a £500 million new hospital to replace the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital in Welwyn Garden City and a new campus for Oaklands College, but both projects were cancelled.

The Hatfield aviation history is remembered by the names of certain local streets and pubs like Comet Way, The Airfield, Dragon Road as well as The Comet Hotel. The Harrier Pub that was known as The Hilltop pub is actually named after the Harrier Bird, not the aircraft. The de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre, at Salisbury Hall in nearby London Colney, preserves and displays many historic de Havilland aeroplanes and related archives.

So no matter what sort of roofing work you require, T. J. Copping Ltd Roofing Specialists are always able to visit your Hatfield property to offer a free, no obligation quote.

T. J. Copping Ltd Roofing Specialists are always a phone call away and are happy to offer a thoroughly professional roofing service to their clients. With public liability insurance and a guarantee of a free, no obligation quotation, we really are the roofing company you can trust to get the job done.

Some of the specialist roofing services we carry out:

  • Any new roof work and repair work
  • Domestic and commercial roofing
  • Slating and tiling
  • Flat roofs (single ply membrane and high-performance torch-on felt)
  • Lead work, Bays, valleys, parapets, flashings and box gutters
  • Cement work (verges and chimney stacks)
  • Fascias, soffits and guttering
  • Insurance work
  • Repairs and maintenance such as slipped slates, broken tiles, leaking gutters and overhauls.

Further Information

If you would like to know more or are interested in a quote we would be happy to help. Phone us on 01438 229 655, email us at enquiries@tjcoppingroofing.com or fill in our contact form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.

Areas covered:

Freephone: 0800 023 8350

Telephone: 01438 229 655

Mobile: 07961 147 476

Company No.: 10300026

Copyright © 2015 T. J. Copping Ltd