Please wait

Freephone: 0800 023 8350

Telephone: 01438 229 655

Mobile: 07961 147 476

Menu

Freephone: 0800 023 8350
Telephone: 01438 229 655
Mobile: 07961 147 476
enquiries@tjcoppingroofing.com

A 4th generation family run business

Roofing Services Stevenage | Roofer Stevenage | Roof Repair Stevenage | Flat Roof Repair Stevenage

Our scores are based on 354 reviews
(each score is out of 10)

Reliability and timekeeping

9.95

Tidiness

9.88

Courtesy

9.92

Workmanship

9.91

Invoice history is based on 299 reviews

Charged as per quote

96.32 %

Above quote (kept informed)

3.68 %

Checks carried out by Checkatrade

  • Interviewed by Checkatrade
  • Insurance checked
  • Limited company checked
  • Address checked
  • Checkatrade standard signed
  • 1 accreditation checked
  • ID checked
  • References checked

T. J. Copping Ltd Roofing Specialists are a family owned roofing company who have been successfully trading since 1960. Their desire to offer a quality roofing service with competitive rates is as strong today as it's always been.

T. J. Copping Ltd are based in Stevenage. Although we travel to many other areas to carry out roofing projects, Stevenage is our base and accounts for a great deal of the work we undertake.

A little about Stevenage

Following the Second World War there was a call for a ring of new towns around London. Stevenage was designated the first New Town in 1946. This plan was was rather unpopular with the local people and many protested at a meeting held in the town hall before a ministerfrom the Labour Government of Clement Attlee. The ministers name was Lewis Silkin and when he arrived at the railway station for the meeting, he discovered that some local people had changed the signs for Stevenage to Silkingrad. He was quite obstinate at the meeting, telling a crowd that amounted to around half the towns residents, that it was no good jeering, it will be done. Despite the hostile reaction to the minister and a referendum that showed 52% of the population were entirely against the expansion, the plan went ahead anyway. Although the New Towns Commission declared the Old Town would not be touched, the first significant building to be demolished was Stevenage Old Town Hall, in which the opposition had been expressed in the first place.

In 1949 the townplanner Dr Monica Felton became Chairman of the Stevenage Development Corporation but she was sacked within two years. There were a number of reasons for her dismissal by the government but a lack of hands on town planning leadership and her opposition to the Korean War badly affected her reputation.

The new Stevenage town was planned with six self contained neighbourhoods. The first two of these to be occupied were the Stoney Hall and Monks Wood estates. The Twin Foxes pub, still on the Monks Wood estate, was the first new public house in Stevenage and was named after local notorious identical twin poachers Albert Ebenezer and Ebenezer Albert Fox.

Next to be built and occupied by the London overspill was Bedwel, swiftly followed by Broadwater and Shephall, Chells came next with Pin Green and Symonds Green following on.

The expansion of Stevenage didn't stop there as another new development to the north of the town, Great Ashby is still under construction.

Stevenage may be a new town, but it has a rich history

At least two other public houses have a direct relationship to local history. Although it was closed in 2006, the pub Edward the Confessor could have had a connection to the time at which St Marys Church in nearby Walkern was built, for King Edward ruled from 1042 until his death in 1066. Walkerns village church dates from this time. The second pub with a possible link to local history is the Our Mutual Friend in Broadwater. The name of the pub is the title of a novel by Charles Dickens. Dickens was an occasional guest of Sir Edward Bulwer-Lytton in nearby Knebworth House and knew Stevenage particularly well.

Stevenage town centre was the first purpose built traffic free shopping centre in Britain and was officially opened in 1959 by the Queen. Although somewhat revolutionary for its time, Stevenage town centre is now showing signs of age and recently plans were revealed for a major regeneration to take place over the next ten years. Details are still being debated by the council, landowners and other interested parties.

Sadly the plans to redevelop Stevenage town centre were scrapped owing to the financial crisis of 200708 and the lack of interested private sector partners. In 2012 Stevenage Borough Council announced that a £250m scheme for the shopping area has been put on hold by Stevenage Regeneration Limited because of the continuing economic conditions. The plans, which included realigning streets, moving the bus station and building a new department store, cinema, hotel, restaurants and flats, had been given council planning approval earlier that year.

The Stevenage Town Centre Regeneration Strategy had called for quality shops and a major department store, improved public transport with a combined bus and rail interchange, high density town centre living, substantially improved civic facilities and increased office space.

Stevenage has a large central library at the southern end of the pedestrian precinct, with facilities including printing, fax and photocopying, childrens events, study space, a careers information point and a large public computer suite, as well as a small branch library at the northern end of the High Street in Stevenage Old Town.

Next to Stevenage town garden the Church of St Andrew and St George is an example of modern church design and has housed Stevenage Museum in its crypt since 1976. The church is a cathedral like Grade 2 listed building. It is also the largest parish church to have been built in England since World War Two.

The Queens Mother laid the foundation stone in July 1956 and was also present at the consecration by the Bishop of St Albans.

North of Stevenage Old Town, near St Nicholas Church, lies Rooks Nest, this was the home of the novelist Edward Morgan Forster from 1884 to 1894. Forster used Rooksnest and the surrounding area as the setting for his novel Howards End. In the preface to one paperback edition of Howards End there is a lot to be found about landmarks of Stevenage and their relationship to the story of the novel, such as Stevenage High Street and the Six Hills. The land north of St Nicholas Church, known as Forster Country, is the last remaining farmland within the boundary of Stevenage borough. Forster was unhappy with the development of new Stevenage and he decribed the development as falling out of the blue sky like a meteorite upon the ancient and delicate scenery of Hertfordshire.

Stevenage and Batman

Not far from Stevenage is Knebworth House, a gothic stately home and venue of globally renowned rock concerts since 1974. The house was used as Wayne Manor in the 1989 film Batman. Knebworth House was used for the exterior, whereas the interior is Hatfield House a few miles away.

In 1999 a millennium countdown clock was mounted in Stevenage on the town centre clock tower, displaying the time remaining until the year 2000. The artwork on the clock was designed by a student from a local school.

Stevenage also has an extensive industrial area. For many years British Aerospace was the largest employer in Stevenage but now GlaxoSmithKline has a large pharmaceutical research laboratory complex just off the A1(M) motorway.

Supporting businesses in Stevenage

There are many small to medium size businesses in Stevenage too, such as the business and technology centre on Bessemer Drive. Stevenage BioScience Catalyst is a new science park aimed at attracting small and start up life sciences enterprises, which opened in 2011 on a site next to GlaxoSmithKline.

Stevenage holds several annual events, including Stevenage Day and Rock in the Park. In years gone by, Stevenage Carnival has also been held, with quite a few attempts to revive it.

One thing is certain, Stevenage has a large population which means there are a vast number of properties that require roofing maintenance. So no matter what sort of roofing work you require, T. J. Copping Ltd Roofing Specialists are always able to visit your Stevenage property to offer a free, no obligation quote.

T. J. Copping Ltd Roofing Specialists are always a phone call away and are happy to offer a thoroughly professional roofing service to their clients. With public liability insurance and a guarantee of a free, no obligation quotation, we really are the roofing company you can trust to get the job done.

Some of the specialist roofing services we carry out:

  • Any new roof work and repair work
  • Domestic and commercial roofing
  • Slating and tiling
  • Flat roofs (single ply membrane and high-performance torch-on felt)
  • Lead work, Bays, valleys, parapets, flashings and box gutters
  • Cement work (verges and chimney stacks)
  • Fascias, soffits and guttering
  • Insurance work
  • Repairs and maintenance such as slipped slates, broken tiles, leaking gutters and overhauls.

Further Information

If you would like to know more or are interested in a quote we would be happy to help. Phone us on 01438 229 655, email us at enquiries@tjcoppingroofing.com or fill in our contact form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.

Areas covered:

Freephone: 0800 023 8350

Telephone: 01438 229 655

Mobile: 07961 147 476

Company No.: 10300026

Copyright © 2015 T. J. Copping Ltd