Please wait

Freephone: 0800 023 8350

Telephone: 01438 229 655

Mobile: 07961 147 476

Menu

Freephone: 0800 023 8350
Telephone: 01438 229 655
Mobile: 07961 147 476
enquiries@tjcoppingroofing.com

A 4th generation family run business

Roofing Services Watford | Roofer Watford | Roof Repair Watford | Flat Roof Repair Watford

Our scores are based on 494 reviews
(each score is out of 10)

Reliability and timekeeping

9.94

Tidiness

9.87

Courtesy

9.93

Workmanship

9.91

Invoice history is based on 418 reviews

Charged as per quote

96.65 %

Above quote (kept informed)

3.35 %

Checks carried out by Checkatrade

  • Interviewed by Checkatrade
  • Insurance checked
  • Limited company checked
  • Address checked
  • Checkatrade standard signed
  • 1 accreditation checked
  • ID checked
  • References checked

T. J. Copping Ltd Roofing Specialists are a family owned roofing company who have been successfully trading since 1960. Their desire to offer a quality roofing service with competitive rates is as strong today as it's always been.

T. J. Copping Ltd Roofing Specialists have many satisfied customers in and around the Watford area of Hertfordshire.

A little history about Watford

There is quite a lot of evidence of prehistoric occupation around the Watford area, withsome Celtic and Roman finds, though there is no evidence of an actual settlement until much later. Watford stands on a low hill near the point at which the River Colne was forded by travellers along an ancient trackway from the south east to the north west.

Watford High Street follows the line of this route on the northern side of the ford. Watford was located on the first dry ground above the marshy edges of the River Colne. The name Watford may have arisen from the Old English for waet, meaning full of water, as the area was rather marshy and ford because of the river.

St Albans Abbey claimed rights to the manor of Cashio, which included Watford, dating from a grant by King Offa in AD 793.

The name Watford is first mentioned in an Anglo-Saxon charter of 1007, where Watforda is one of the places marking the boundary of Oxanhaege; this is believed to refer to the ford . It is not mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, when this area was part of St Albans Abbeys manor of cashio. In the 12th century the Abbey was granted a charter allowing it to hold a market here and the building of St Marys Church began. The location of Watford helped it to expand, since as well as trade along this north south through route it possessed good communications into the vale of St Albans to the east and into the Chiltern Hills along the valley of the River Chess to the west. Watfords growth was assisted by travellers passing through to Berkhamsted Castle and the royal palace at Kings Langley. A big house was built at Cassiobury in the 16th century. This was partly rebuilt in the 17th century and another substantial house was built nearby at The Grove. The houses were expanded and developed throughout the following centuries.

Cassiobury became the family seat of the Earls of Essex, and The Grove the seat of the Earls of Clarendon.

The Sparrows Herne turnpike was established in 1762 to improve the route across the Chilterns, with the road maintained from charges levied at toll houses along the way. The location of a toll house can be seen at the bottom of Chalk Hill on the Watford side of Bushey Arches. In 1778, Daniel Defoe described Watford as a Genteel market town, very long, having but one street.

Watford remained an agricultural community with some cottage industry for many centuries. The Industrial Revolution brought the Grand Junction Canal, which has since changed to the Grand Union Canal from 1798 and the London and Birmingham Railway from 1837, both located here for the same reasons the road had followed centuries before, seeking an easy gradient over the Chiltern Hills. The land owning interests permitted the canal to follow closely by the river Gade, but the prospect of smoke emitting steam trains drove them to ensure the railway gave a wide berth to the Cassiobury and Grove estates. Although the road and canal follow the easier valley route, the railway company was forced to build an expensive tunnel under Leavesden to the north of Watford.

Watfords original railway station opened in 1837 on the west side of St Albans Road, a small, single storey red brick building. The station closed in 1858 when it was replaced by a new, larger station at Watford Junction about 220 yards further south east. The old station house still stands today; it is a Grade II listed building and is now occupied by a second hand car dealership. Watford Junction railway station is situated to the north of Watford town centre.

These developments gave Watford very good communications and stimulated its industrial growth during the 19th and 20th centuries. The Grand Union Canal, allowed coal to be brought into the district and paved the way for industrial development. The Watford Gas and Coke Company was formed in 1834 and gas works built. The canal allowed paper making mills to be sited at Croxley. The John Dickinson and Co. mill beside the canal manufactured the Croxley brand of fine quality paper. There had been brewing in Watford from the 17th century and, by the 19th century, two industrial scale brewers Benskins and Sedgwicks were located in Watford.

In 1851 a new street off the High Street was opened, King Street, followed by Queens Road and Clarendon Road in the early 1860s. During this time, Watford had a population of around 6,500. The railways also continued to expand from Watford during this period; the Watford and Rickmansworth Railway opened in 1862 as a short branch line via Watford High Street to Rickmansworth, and another branch was added to Croxley Green in 1912. The original plan was to extend the Rickmansworth line south connecting Watford to Uxbridge; this scheme failed and both the Rickmansworth and Croxley branches eventually closed.

By 1891 the population of Watford had risen to about 17,063 and it had become very cramped. Local landowners sold land for the development of Watford and it was bought up by commercial interests. Various factories and other works sprung up in Watford, mostly breweries and prints, but also engineering works, a steam laundry, a cold storage company and a cocoa processing plant. Watford expanded very quickly, most of the new inhabitants moving in from the London area.

So no matter what sort of roofing work you require, T. J. Copping Ltd Roofing Specialists are always able to visit your Watford property to offer a free, no obligation quote.

T. J. Copping Ltd Roofing Specialists are always a phone call away and are happy to offer a thoroughly professional roofing service to their clients. With public liability insurance and a guarantee of a free, no obligation quotation, we really are the roofing company you can trust to get the job done.

Some of the specialist roofing services we carry out:

  • Any new roof work and repair work
  • Domestic and commercial roofing
  • Slating and tiling
  • Flat roofs (single ply membrane and high-performance torch-on felt)
  • Lead work, Bays, valleys, parapets, flashings and box gutters
  • Cement work (verges and chimney stacks)
  • Fascias, soffits and guttering
  • Insurance work
  • Repairs and maintenance such as slipped slates, broken tiles, leaking gutters and overhauls.

Further Information

If you would like to know more or are interested in a quote we would be happy to help. Phone us on 01438 229 655, email us at enquiries@tjcoppingroofing.com or fill in our contact form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.

Areas covered:

Freephone: 0800 023 8350

Telephone: 01438 229 655

Mobile: 07961 147 476

Company No.: 10300026

Copyright © 2015 T. J. Copping Ltd